There was a fire on Mt Konocti near Buckingham Peninsula.
The Golf Fire is 100% contained, so we will no longer update this emergency page . However, we recommend all listeners who have not yet done so to register with LakeCoAlerts, even if you previously registered with Nixle or Code Red.
Golf Fire Update FINAL (Sunday 8/11/19 7:00 pm)
Caused by an improperly discarded cigarette. Size : 20 acres, 100% contained (though Calfire crews will still be working on the site). One firefighter suffered minor injuries.
Golf Fire Update (Saturday 8/10/19 7:45 pm) Golf Fire - off Soda Bay Rd and Golf Dr, West of Clearlake in Lake County is 20 acres and 90% contained.
Calfire Investigators determined the cause of the Golf Fire to be from a improperly discarded cigarette. CalFire would like to remind the public to 'put it out'. When needing to discard a cigarette use a deep and sturdy ashtray and place it away from anything that can burn. Do not discard cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, pottee plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grasses or leaves or other things that could ignite easily. Before you throw away and cigarettes and ashes make sure they are out. Dosing them in water or sand is the best way to do that. Never throw cigarettes out of vehicles, always discard them in an ashtray, or a container designed for cigarette disposal.
All Evacuations Orders/Advisories have been lifted
All Road Closures have been lifted
Golf Fire Incident Road Closure Update (Saturday 8/10/19 11:30 am)
Public Information Officer
Lt. Rich Ward
The road closures on Soda Bay Road in Buckingham for the Golf Fire Incident will be removed and open to through traffic on Saturday, 08/10, at 1200 pm. The Lake County Sheriff’s Office would like to remind motorist, pedestrians and residents in the area to remain vigilant of emergency personnel and equipment that may still be working in the area.
Golf Fire Evacuation Order and Warning Lifted (Friday 8/9/19 1:30 pm)
Effective immediately, all evacuation warnings and orders have been lifted for the communities of Riviera West, Buckingham and Riviera Heights. Residents are now able to repopulate the area. The Lake County Sheriff’s Office reminds residents to still remain vigilant of hazards created as a result of the fire and emergency personnel in the immediate area. Road closures will remain in the following areas:
*Soda Bay Road is closed between Little Borax Lake Road and Crystal Drive for emergency personnel in the immediate area.*
Pacific Gas & Electric anticipates restoring power and re-energizing powerlines in the affected areas after a line inspection has been accomplished.
Things to consider when repopulation occurs:
- Be alert for downed power lines and other hazards.
- Check propane tanks, regulators, and lines before turning gas on; if it has been turned off.
- Check water lines before turning back on if previously shut-off.
- Check your residence carefully for hidden embers or smoldering fires.
- Check pilot lights.
- Be cognizant of emergency traffic and first responders in the immediate area.
NOTE : we are updating these lists as information becomes available.
Government Agencies & Affiliates
Technical Support Sites
WARNING! These may require some technical knowledge, and may not be up to date.
- Wind Conditions in Lake County - Put in the Zip Code 95451 Note: these wind speeds may not be applicable at ground level.
- Web Cams -- Note : PGE has a camera on Konocti, but you can't see the Golf Fire area. The Geyser Peak camera shows Konocti from the west. Check the datestamp on the webcam to make sure it's current.
- Flight Radar 24 This shows the location of airplanes all over the world.Click on a plane and you'll see its path.
- FIRMS Fire Satellite Map WARNING! It can take up to two days for a satellite to pick up a fire at a particular location. Also, it cannot see through mountains or into canyons. (As of 8/9/19 it did NOT pick up the Golf Fire!)
Crowdsourced News (WARNING! This is not official information!)